The Mineral Resources Section collects, analyzes, and makes available information on the geological and geophysical framework of Alaska as it pertains to the mineral resources of the state. Summary maps and reports illustrate the geology of the state's prospective mineral terranes and provide data on the location, type, and potential of the state's mineral resources. These data aid in the state's management of mineral development, and help to encourage mineral exploration in Alaska, which provides employment opportunities and revenue for Alaska's citizens.
- Alaska highway, gas pipeline, and infrastructure corridors - Evaluation of geology, resources, and geologic hazards along proposed natural pipeline and infrastructure corridors in Alaska.
- Alaska mineral industry report - Annual Alaska mineral industry report provides information about exploration, development, and production of Alaska's mineral resources.
- Alaska strategic and critical minerals assessment project - The goals of this 3-year project are (1) to compile historic and industry-donated data in digital format; (2) to obtain new field and analytical data critical for assessing REE potential; (3) to evaluate the historic and new data to identify areas of Alaska with the highest REE potential, as well as those needing additional geologic evaluation; (4) to communicate the results of our work to the public; and (5) to publish the data and results of our studies on the DGGS website. This project was previously titled Rare-Earth Elements and Strategic Minerals Assessment project. Field areas include William Henry Bay, Ray Mountains, Annette Island, and the Wrangellia geologic belt (Alaska Range foothills and the Talkeetna Mountains).
- East Styx geophysics - The East Styx survey is centered about 95 miles northwest of Anchorage and is adjacent to the Styx River survey released in 2008. Aeromagnetic, electromagnetic, and radiometric data are being acquired
- Livengood South - Bedrock, mineral, and surficial geologic interpretations and investigation of the Tolovana mining district, near Livengood, Alaska.
- Moran - Comprehensive, bedrock, and surficial geologic maps of the Eastern Moran area, eastern Alaska Range, Alaska; STATEMAP grant no. G11AC20203
- Ray Mountains - Strategic and critical minerals assessment in the Ray Mountains area, south-central Alaska
- Styx River geologic mapping - Geologic mapping in the Styx River area of the Lime Hills C-1 Quadrangle
- Tonsina geophysics - Tonsina electromagnetic and magnetic airborne geophysical survey
- Wrangellia geologic mapping - Strategic and critical minerals assessment in the western Wrangellia terrane, south-central Alaska; a multi-year project to understand and improve the geologic framework of the Wrangellia geologic belt, with particular emphasis on evaluating the potential of the area to host magmatic-type nickel, copper, and platinum-group-element (Ni-Cu-PGE) deposits. Includes detailed geologic mapping in the Talkeetna Mountains Quadrangle, STATEMAP grant no. G14AC00167
- Wrangellia geophysics - Airborne geophysical survey of the Wrangellia area, Talkeetna Mountains, Healy, and Mt. Hayes quadrangles, south-central Alaska